Sunday, February 11, 2007

Quickway 3 Grammar

PHRASAL VERBS
SEPARABLE AND NONSEPERABLE

The term phrasal verb refers to a verb and a preposition which together have a special meaning.
For example, to take off means:
(1) to remove clothing;
(2) to leave on a trip.
Phrasal verbs are also called two-word verbs or three-word verbs.

There are two types of phrasal verbs:
-->Separable.
-->Nonseparable.

With a separable phrasal verb, a noun may come either between the verb and the preposition or after the preposition as in this example:

I put my jacket on or I put on my jacket.

BUT if we replace the noun by a pronoun (me, you, him, her, it, us, them) like in this example:
(my jacket --->it ), the pronoun always comes between the verb and the preposition.

I put it on.
(NOT: I put on it )

With a nonseparable phrasal verb, a noun or pronoun must follow the preposition as in this example:

I always get off the bus near the pharmacy.
(NOT: I always get the bus off or I always get it off)

Practice your phrasal verbs here

For more details, click the relevant link under 'Useful Links'

No comments: